The trip to Billings Montana is 1568 miles using the great circle route. Assuming no wind, that’s 8 hours and 43 minutes. Add in wind, fuel stops, and a few extra miles to maneuver and it’s 9 plus hours in the air plus ground time. I looked at the route and thought that’s gonna be a really long day, in fact that would be a record for us. I think our longest single day was returning from Moab, 1460 miles. We had a heck of a tailwind for over half the flight and made it in 8.1 air hours.
Going West in September usually means headwinds so I gave up on the idea of a single day. I also decided to break the flight into 4 hops rather than 3 even legs. 3 hops would have made each leg over 3 hours. Also this meant on day one we would only fly about 6 hours, less than optimal. In the end I decided day 1 would be about 7 hours and day 2 a short 2 hours so we could start sightseeing on arrival.
The next challenge was finding our overnight stop. I drew a line to Billings, and then headed back about 360 miles and it was in the middle of nowhere. I started looking at the airports near the theoretical perfect spot and after going through 7 possibilities, settled on Sidney, Nebraska. It was not my first pick, that one had no fuel this month. Another choice had no local transport, others seemed sketchy, pricey or in a sub optimal locations.
Sidney checked all my boxes, not cheap but reasonably priced gas, a car we could use, good hotel options and places to eat. After that I used Airnav to plan our stops routes. With the changes in the oil markets, I have found that much of the gas data Foreflight is wrong. Airnav is not perfect but much better.
My plan was simple, stop at Monroe Mississippi, then Emporia Kansas and overnight at Sidney Nebraska. I watched the weather as the date approached and it was all looking good. That was until 2 days out. The winds got a lot less favorable and the Southeast was forecast to have widespread morning fog. Then the night before, Kansas decided to spawn some big storms.
The fog was easy, we could wait it out, we had plenty of daylight. Waking up most of the Southeast was 200 feet overcast but Monroe was clear and as the sun rose I could see things improving. We took our time and by 9:00 I was sure things were improving. We departed into blue skies with a few low puffy clouds along the way. The ride was good and other than an extra 10 knots of headwind, it al was good.
Our first stop was smooth. The place was deserted but they had a good self serve pump, clean bathrooms and good weather. I had quit worrying about the low clouds as they had burned off but had been looking at the storms in Kansas. They looked strong and while they were moving through, it was not clear what they would do.
Inbound to Monroe I had formulated my alternate strategy. We could go due West and fuel South of Tulsa, OK. I say formulated but I had planned several routes and briefed them that the morning. The Tulsa weather was looking good but it was a big detour. As we fueled in Monroe, we still had almost 3 hours until Kansas so I decided to stay with our original plan and if the weather was not clearing, divert mid flight. Our departure was smooth but as we climbed, the headwinds increased. Headwinds stink but it was clear and smooth so on balance things were good.
We had plenty of time to watch the storms over Emporia and they slowly moved off the airport. The surrounding storms were not heading for Emporia and they looked like they were diminishing. I had chosen a decision point about a third of the distance and I decided to continue to Emporia. I was not committed yet, I also had another back up airport pretty close to Emporia so if it got covered we with storms, would just divert there.
About an hour out the winds shifted and got a lot worse and the ride became quite bumpy. The forecast had said 10k winds were the same as 8k so we asked for a climb. It smoothed out and had slightly less wind. Until the last 100 miles we had blue skies but now we had shades of grey. We got lucky though, by the time we arrived the storms were falling apart. XM was still showing light to moderate rain but our radar was much more optimistic. We passed one shower and got a few drops on the windshield but otherwise it was high overcast and dry.
The fuel stop at Emporia was fine except the hose was short. I had to use the trick of running the hose under the plane and still had no slack when filling the right tank. The FBO had really fancy bathrooms for a country airport but I would have traded the swank for a longer hose.
It all worked out and we were soon back in the air and on the way to Sidney, Nebraska, not that place in Australia that is spelled differently. On climb out I was watching the winds carefully. Down low we had a light tailwind and as we passed 7,000’ it went to a full crosswind but no headwind. By 8,000’ we had more than 20 knots on the nose.
Now we were heading 289 degrees which means even altitudes. That’s the rule but we were over literally nowhere with no other traffic. I asked ATC if we could get 7,000’ and ATC said sure. So down we went and the headwind melted away. We even picked up a small tailwind as the crosswind became a slightly quartering crosswind.
We had been in clear skies to start but we soon were swallowed by a layer. It was bumpy but our speed was good, the clouds were warm and there was no rain. About 70 miles from Sidney we broke out and had an uneventful landing. The surface winds had been calm at our other stops but here the winds had picked up and were blowing 19 with gusts in the high 20s. Luckily it was all down the runway. This was a preview of things to come.
I had called ahead and they had offered a courtesy car as there is no Uber in Sidney. We bought some gas, secured the plane and then it was off to the Fairfield. We grabbed some food and got some rest. We had flown 7.8 engine hours, 7.3 in the air, and covered 1226 nm for an average speed of 168 knots. Overall we had about 15 knots average headwind.