Tuesday, July 11, 2017

Mount Pleasant, SC #39

I knocked another one off the list today without even trying.  Had been en-route 2.5 hours and even though I had enough gas to make the destination 1.5 hours down the airway, we decided to tank up and stretch our legs.


I landed at KLRO, Mount Pleasant.  I had last landed there about 23 years ago.  I was a co-owner of a Mooney and the engine had a cracked cylinder.  There was no local mechanic at the time so the plane was stuck.  Our mechanic agreed to fly down and repair it.  We ordered a new cylinder and loaded the mechanic, tools, and the other owner into a C-182 and flew down early Saturday morning.


We parked the  C-182 so the wing gave us some shade.  The mechanic spread out his tools and the manual and went to work.  Step by step the broken cylinder came off and the new one went on.  Everything tested well and we flew both planes home that afternoon.


The place is much busier now and gas is more expensive but I could still see the part of the ramp where we had set up our maintenance operation.

CC was not with me so technically she will be one short.  Ironically she was in South Carolina.  On the way in I flew past Fort Sumter and Fort Multrie.  Nice views of both and Charleston Harbor.

No comments:

Post a Comment