Monday, December 31, 2018

Fog, Fog go away

Today was my last flight in 2018.  Overall a pretty good year.  I flew less than I wanted but I probably would say that any year.  There was the matter of work, family, and other responsibilities.   I had hoped to get a few more trips in at year end but the weather has been the pits.  First we had some extreme fronts and then the last few days some serious fog.  I still logged 157.7 hours.  I also did a good bit of training and maintained my instrument currency and proficiency all year.  Those are different but will be the subject of a future post.


Travel wise, we covered 6 new states.  I did 11 in year one so there are 31 left.  5 or 6 years and I will have them all.  Today we had early morning fog again but unlike Saturday when it hung around and around, I knew it would clear a bit earlier.


I decided to take CC to DeLand for a burger.  The airport restaurant advertises the best burger.  Heck their email is bestburger@airportginmill.com.  It is a fine burger but not sure if it is best.  It is feet from the ramp and has a nice outside deck.  It was 80+ today but with the breeze and some shade was quite nice to sit outside.  Did I mention December 31 was 80 degrees?


Climbing out we had a cloud deck to climb through. It was thin but fun as we leveled off right above the deck.  You get the sensation of really moving when you are just feet from the clouds.  The reality was that at 4000 we had a 30 knot headwind so in fact we were moving slower than normal.  Since DeLand is only 77 miles it did not prolong the trip greatly.


On the way home the headwind should have been a tailwind.  We got some of it but it had abated somewhat so we only had 25 knots pushing us North.  Seem like that always happens and the headwinds are stronger than the tailwinds.  I didn't mind too much as the weather was great and I was enjoying the flight.  Happy New Years!  More adventures to come in 2019.



No comments:

Post a Comment