Saturday, March 30, 2019

Young Eagles

Sofar this has been a pretty good month for flying.  While I have not had time to take any long trips, CC and I have gotten around and I have put in some good training time.  The month started with the plane in annual inspection so it was a short flying month but I have made the most of it.


Friday and Saturday I headed to Suwanee Florida to give Young Eagle rides.  Young Eagles is a program through the EAA (Experimental Aircraft Association) to introduce youth to aviation.  Pilots offer free airplane rides and there is age appropriate educational information provided as well.  For some it may just be a fun ride but for others it may be the start of a career or hobby.


When I saw the flyer for Wings Over Suwanee which was the Fly In, it rang a bell but I didn't remember why.  Today while walking around the festival part between flights I remembered.  In August 2007, Samantha, a friend and I had flown in for a EAA fly in and BBQ.  My friend had snapped the picture of the two of us taking pictures. 


We ended up having great weather for the program.  Warm but not hot and mostly clear skies.  Heading back Friday the clouds had formed at my preferred altitude but ATC hooked me up and let me air file.  I spent the 20 minutes of cruise popping in and out of the clouds.  Today I filed on the ground and we spent a total of 3 seconds in a cloud.


Friday morning before the festivities began there were two guys out flying powered parachutes.  Unfortunately they had chosen right by the Young Eagles area to launch and recover.  as they practiced they came a bit close for comfort for me but luckily they were done and gone before we started flying the kids.  I ended up adding 12 Young Eagles to my total.  This is also the start of the Radial Reunion weekend so we have more activities lined up for Sunday.

No comments:

Post a Comment