Saturday, February 8, 2020

How slow can you go

My last post was about speed. This one is the absence of speed.  Looking at the GPS lower left corner you can see the ground speed is 0.0 knots.  So what you say, anyone can sit in a plane and not go anywhere.  True but if you look closely in the picture I am sitting just off the coast of Saint Augustine above the surf, not going anywhere.


We often discuss that the plane only care about the apparent wind and not the actual ground speed.  Thus if I am going 90 knots air speed and the wind is blowing 90 knots, the plane is actually standing still.  Below is the primary flight display shows no ground speed while I am indicating 76 knots. 


I was actually still moving 2 knots at that point.  I slowed down a bit more and was actually moving backwards at 3 knots.  It was a fun thing to do and demonstrated what we all learn in theory in groundschool.

No comments:

Post a Comment