Tuesday, October 20, 2020

Water and Walking

 

We got a late start Saturday, sometimes it's nice to just take it easy. COVID had cancelled hot breakfasts but the hotel had grab and go. We scored got some fruit and snacks for energy boosts between hikes.  It was a chilly morning in the 40s but with light winds and our jackets we were ready to explore.


Our first stop was Todd creek falls just North of Clemson University.  You know you are near Clemson when you start seeing random tiger paws painted on the road.  Looking at the paw prints, those are some huge tigers. When we arrived we were parked under some high tension lines and there was no apparent trail. Usually there is a sign or something but not this time. I looked at my notes and the Google map and confirmed that we were in the right place so we decide to press on.



The trail did not exist exactly where the map said it started but as we walked along the road I saw a sliver of dirt surrounded by high vegetation. I declared this the trail and off we went. The trail averaged about a foot wide at best but it was apparent that we had found it. Little clues like a board left where it was especially muddy and foot prints gave us confidence.


The walk was short, about .3 miles and we saw the falls as we rounded a bend. We had to hike down some steep dirt to get a good view but they were really nice falls and for a bit we had them all to ourselves. I put up the drone and soon a family appeared at the top of the falls to photobomb my shots.  This seemed to be a recurring theme as people wanted to stand in the falls rather than look at the falls. 


The Bush was high and thick but it had some really nice wild flowers.  It also had lots of prickly things and dew.  We were glad that we dressed appropriately.


After beating our way out, we headed to Waldrop Stone falls. These falls were much easier. First there were other cars and one of those sign boards marking the trail.  The trail was wide and mostly flat.  It was a short hike but these falls were busy. There were some college kids that were everywhere and basically blocking my photography.


I put up the drone which was challenging as there were lots of trees. After getting my shots Irealized that somehow I had stopped recording so Iredid the drone shots. By then the college kids had camped out on the falls and a group of families with kids had invaded to crawl over all parts of the falls.


We sat off to the side waiting, watching the stream and eventually the college kids left. The dad then yelled at the kids to move and let me get some pictures. I thanked him and a minute later we hiked out.


Our next stop was not about waterfalls though we did get a bonus baby fall. We headed up to the Raven Rock trail which is on Lake Keowee. This was a 4 mile hike to see the lake.


Heading out it seemed deceptively easy but then we started downhill. CC reminded me of the first rule of hiking, when you walk down you will eventually walk up. We kept going and then the trail headed way up and down and up. The walk was nice and after 2 miles we got a nice overlook of the lake.


The leaves are also starting to change so we did have splashes of color. Regardless on the way back around mile 3 of uphill we were both feeling it. Around mile 3.5 I saw some trash on the trail. It turned out to be a nice cell phone.


It was on and charged but locked. I picked it up and trudged on I figured the owner might try calling it but nothing so we decided to take it to the rangers. The visitor center was just off the trail head. I was holding the phone out as I figured the owner might be looking for it. As we approached the ranger center two masked ladies saw us and asked if we had found that phone.


I placed it down and said if she could unlock it, it was hers. Like Cinderella and the glass slipper, this lady had the magic fingerprint and we headed off to the car for our next adventure. We had a quick ride North to Reedy Cove falls. The map did not work quite right and took us near the falls but was suggesting a private drive as the final street.


We had just passed waterfall road so I took a chance and headed that way. The road went from paved to potholes to dirt and and then one car wide but we soon found a parking lot and signs telling you not to climb the falls.  After seeing the falls, not sure why you needed a sign because it was obvious.


These falls were a short walk along a flat route, which was a welcome change. There was a small observation deck that was packed when we arrived but you could walk below this on the flat rocks next to the stream. These were rather impressive falls both in height and flow.


I sent the drone up again and got some nice shots. I then made a nice landing and while going to pick up the drone was distracted by a film crew trying moving in who were trying step on it. I slid on some leaves and ended up on my rear end. Luckily as I slid I sort of sat down and neither my body or equipment was damaged.



We took a few more pictures but it started to get crowded. It looked like they were going to do a video shoot as they were packing in bikes, tripods, gimbals and other equipment. We hiked out and started for home. The breakfast snacks were gone and it was almost 4 and we still had not had lunch.  CC was driving so I searched ahead for food. I found a Subway, Burger King  and a local BBQ place. We decided on BBQ. Technically this was the first restaurant we had eaten at since COVID. No we did not throw caution to the wind. You order outside and can pay by sliding your card from a distance.

 

They had 4 picnic tables outside well spaced. It did not really matter as we were the only people there. They had sold out of chicken so I tried the ribs while CC had the pork sandwich. I shared my cornbread and Mac with her too. No pictures of the food. I must have been hungry as I dove in before getting any. 



Having accomplished our last goal we headed to the hotel for some rest and to recharge batteries. We were not super hungry so dinner was some tacos and a burrito from Taco Bell plus some noodles leftover from Friday. We did well today with 8.5 miles of walking.  

No comments:

Post a Comment