Saturday, May 22, 2021

NASA Redux




Back in July 2018, we did the "Shuttle Tour".  The Tour consists of a low pass over the shuttle landing facility.  You get great views of the complex, vehicle assembly building and Merritt island.  We headed down this morning and it was a smooth ride with light traffic in the Daytona area. 



I had double checked that the restricted areas were not active and just to be sure was working with ATC for flight following.  All was going well until it took Orlando a long time to accept our handoff.  Checking in, I requested the tour and he replied, "well you can do that on your own".  I could have requested services but he seemed busy so once he confirmed the airspace status, we switched to the local frequency and proceeded to make a nice run down the runway.



The smooth skies got a lot bumpier around 1000' which made filming difficult for CC but we had a great view.  At the end of the almost 3 mile runway, we made a climbing right turn and headed back North.  Overall it was a good flight and a nice morning to sightsee.  It is getting warmer out there so I took advantage of the cooler weather to complete some work on the plane.

Last week I had done my first oil change on the Baron.  I had the mechanic come by and double check my work so I was pretty confident that all was well.  After landing I popped open the cowl sides to take one more look at everything to make sure.  It was all good and other than the oil that streaks back from the breather line onto the gear, everything was dry.


I then wiped the bugs off the wings and finished up polishing my spinners.  It only took me an hour or so to get the plane cleaned up but then took another hour and a half talking to people on the way out of the airport.  Lots of exciting things going on.  One pilot was working on a plane he is building, another had made a BBQ run, a plane was working through annual inspection and another was getting new windows.  A busy Saturday.



Shuttle tour the Movie.




No comments:

Post a Comment