Sunday, November 28, 2021

ATC Mischief


We had a lot of fun in Miami.  Yes we ate too much turkey but I also got to show my Dad the Baron and take a nature hike with the kids.  Heading North I figured I would get a new routing based on our trip down.  I was again surprised when I filed ARKES TRV V3 OMN and the computer said that's what I'll get.

When I called ground, he informed me that the computer had my expected route but he couldn't give that to me. the ARKES departure was no longer allowed.  I had to either file the Miami 8 or to SHANC.  He said I needed to refile, he couldn't do anything.  Usually the computer generates a new route if you file something it doesn't like or the controller will update it if they don't like it.  I was a bit taken aback, I have never been told that it is my problem to fix it or to re-file. 


Re-filing is not a big deal so I tried to take a shortcut. I filed HWO CRG. Usually the computer chuckles and says yeah right and puts in the correct route. Today it cleared me direct, maybe it was in a good mood after eating a bunch of turkey.  Ground called to tell me this and said no way... He also said I needed to file T208 after SHANC. Armed with a bit more knowledge and now familiar where they wanted me to go, I said give me a minute. I filed SHANC T208 SUUGR which the computer and ground liked and we were soon on our way.

Miami is getting interesting, for example to get our departure I needed to accept the Sheridan departure which is only found on one FAA website and as far as I can see not officially published.  Too many FAA secret handshakes if you ask me.  Also looking at it all again safe at home, the Miami8 is not very useful North bound as you are supposed to head over one of the VORs to the South (there is one over FLL but it then turns South). Also SHANC is not on the Miami8.

How are you supposed to know about the secret fix to file? I get it when you file your fantasy and the computer gives you reality. In this case the computer gave me what I filed but it is no longer usable?  The irony is that the final route is almost the same as the one I filed.  Just new fixes and names along the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment