Thursday, June 9, 2022

They Lied!!!

I woke up at 6:30 AM today to stay ahead of the weather.  I might as well have slept in.  I was going down to Marathon in the Keys and back.  The weather was supposed to be clear down South and storms in central Florida after 1 PM or 2 PM depending on location.

Our departure at 8AM was into scattered clouds and we were soon cruising down over Ocala and Lakeland.  The arrival into Marathon was easy and in short order I was heading back North.  I had started with partial fuel and non stop I would have had only a bit over 1 hour reserve for the return.  I skipped the really expensive fuel in Marathon and planned a stop in Wauchula.  They had cheap self serve gas which in theory meant a faster stop.

Crossing the South shore of Florida, I could already see the storms building.  ATC re-routed me over RSW which kept me West of the rain and I was soon planning my descent into Wauchula.  I had the radar running and the little shower South of the field just kept growing.  Checking in with Miami I asked for a descent which got me below the clouds and I cancelled IFR.  I could see the rain and skirted East of the storm, staying dry.  Rounding the edge I had the field and cancelled flight following.

The pump was a new challenge.  I tried to authorize 120 gallons but it had an 88 gallon limit.  No problem, I filled the left tank and shut it off.  I then went to start a new transaction on the right and it said the pump was still in use.  I looked around carefully and no one was using the pump.  I waited a few minutes and then called the office.  They said to wait a few more.  I did and it decided to sell me more gas.  Having mastered the pump, I checked my gas and fired back up.

The radar was showing a good path over Lakeland and then North East.  Airborne, I received my clearance and fired up the radar.  It too showed a path and Miami had cleared me LAL direct home.  All was good until I checked in with Tampa and he wanted me to go North or West after LAL.  That was not going to work and I said I needed East.  He said, that's Orlando's turf and they probably won't take me.  I think he took a hard look at his radar which showed no path to the West.  He came back with good News.

Orlando had accepted me, I could turn due East and talk to the controllers that watch over Mickey Mouse.  They usually don't want piston aircraft but with the storms they made an exception.  Eastbound there was only one cloud in my way which the radar showed as safe.  I was only in the clouds a few seconds and then I was back in clear air.

At 8000 I have been amongst some tall clouds but had stayed outside of anything dangerous.  The controllers plan which looked good on my screens was to pass Winterhaven and then head North.  I did sort of go through one more cloud.  It was a big cloud but it had a hole in the middle so I was able to squeeze through the gap.  Looking back, the storms had turned darker and  I was glad to be through.  

I watched them for a bit after I landed.  They of course started falling apart right about when the forecast said they would start.  In the end it all worked out.  I always had a good escape route which I thought I might need but thanks to the controllers I was able to safely work my way home.

No comments:

Post a Comment