Tuesday, January 2, 2018

If it's Tuesday it is Alabama (#37)

There is a 1969 film "If It's Tuesday, This Must Be Belgium", a romantic comedy, that made fun of those European vacations that did 20 countries in 7 days.  Remember this, it will all make sense shortly.  We are 2 days into the new year and since the weather was junky Monday, I had not flown all year.  Work had been getting in the way of flying but I finally have some days off to enjoy and then winter came with a vengeance. 


Last week I was thinking about a a whirlwind flight, sorta like the movie.  8 states in 8 hours.  I could go Florida, Alabama, Louisiana, Arkansas, Missouri, Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Virginia and home.  It was an 8 hour loop and it looked like end of week there was a good weather.  Good overnight spot in Illinois.  I was going to knock a bunch of states off the list.


All was set until I looked at the temperature forecast with lows around 0 and highs in the mid teens (F not C).  I decided that the loop would wait a few months until it got warmer but I still wanted to do something.



Today there was a break in the weather, it will stink tomorrow with possible snow flurries and rain for sure.  I decided Belgium was too far but Alabama could work.  I picked the closest airport in the state that had good reviews.  This was Eufaula Alabama, never heard of it, me neither.  Sam decided to ride with me on my pointless adventure so around 10 we headed off to the airport.  The idea was a later start meant warmer temperatures.  Everything went well except the planned temperatures.


The weather at home was brisk, 37 degrees with a 15-20 knot breeze.  luckily the hangar opens down wind so with heavy jacket and gloves, the preflight was manageable.  On the Beech discussion board, people are talking about flying in -20 but I think I have found my limit.


Climbing out, we were IFR and quickly punched through two cloud layers on the way to 6000.  I have no ice protection other than a heated pitot tube.  The temperatures were just above icing potential and the forecast was for no ice but I watched the wings and windscreen carefully.  We did get a bit of moisture but were soon above the under-cast.



About 30 miles out the clouds parted and we had a great blue sky.  The flight was mostly uneventful except for one minor diversion.  The controller had called traffic to us, a fast mover just below us.  The target was not showing on our traffic avoidance and the controller gave us a turn to avoid.  Rolling into the turn we picked up the traffic about 2 miles out.  The turn was good and we passed with plenty of room.  The traffic did not show up on the avoidance system until we were about a mile apart.  A good reminder that even with all the technology, keeping your scan going and watching for traffic is still needed.


We touched down in Alabama and though we didn't need anything we went inside to say hello.  Pilots leave comments on airports in the electronic flight bag app and this one had high marks.  I can confirm they were as friendly and the comments said.  We were offered coffee, candy and were made to feel at home.  After a quick chat, we were back in the air.


I planned a fuel stop 30 minutes from Jacksonville.  I could have fueled in Alabama but then would have wanted to fuel again at home.  The idea was to stop at Bacon, Georgia and top off.  Yes that is really the town's name, so tasty!  Bacon has nice facilities and cheap gas.  Arriving in Bacon, we found that I was not the only one with this idea.  We were #4 for the pump.  I also thought it would be closer to 40 by our arrival but the temperature was still around 32.


Luck was on our side.  The person at the pump was just finishing as we touched down.  The fuel is an island on the ramp and the next plane was in position with one behind.  I chose to park on the other side of the island to avoid having to push the plane around.  After the second person finished fueling, the next guy in line told me to go ahead as he was heading in to get a weather brief and file a flight plan.


Tanked up we were soon on our way.  Sam flew most of this leg.  30 miles out the clouds returned but Sam had descended us underneath the deck.  We had been on instrument plans the first 2 legs but the last was visual.  Jacksonville was providing flight following and coordinated passage over the top of Jacksonville international.  The tower was accommodating and we had a nice view of the airport and the  jets operating below us.



Back home the weather had gotten a bit more blustery with winds 18-28 knots with a bit of a cross wind.  The Bonanza is quite capable and other than keeping a bit of extra speed on final in case there was wind sheer, all went well and I even got a really smooth landing.   Putting the plane away was a bit chilly but in the end, a fun flight and another state off the list




No comments:

Post a Comment