Sunday, January 7, 2018

Warbirds and Manatees, a strange combination



I flew less than I wanted last year.  Work had become 7 days a week for a few months which cut into weekend trips and taking vacation.  I have been trying to make up for it this week and today marks the end of vacation and my return to the real world that includes work.



I tried to make the most of it with two aviation events.  The cold weather has kept me from heading North but other than some screaming winds, the weather has been nice here.  Yes 30 is cold for me but I can do it.  Today we hit mid 50s and it was quite nice.



Saturday I headed South to New Smyrna where American Aero Service hosted an Open Hangar day.  This company restores war birds.  I have no idea who funds this work but they do some amazing restorations.


I went a few years back and there were a lot of fly in planes, Saturday the winds were 20-30 knots and more aloft.  Only a few planes showed up but we had a fun time looking at history, taking pictures and talking airplanes.  They had a TMB,  Corsair,  B-24, B-17, C-54 and most of a PBY.  They also had a variety of military vehicles including a scud missile launcher with a missile.  I assume it was disabled unless they are planning to get into it with Daytona Beach.



There were also a few interesting civilian fly ins including a C-195, a light sport and some Swifts (not pictures)



Sunday it was time for CC and I to take a ride.  I was curious as to how the West Coast had recovered so we flew over to Crystal river to take a look.  Things looked good and as we flew around we saw clusters of Manatees up against the shore in the shallow water.  I assume that is the warmest part and they were looking to stay warm.



After surveying the coast a bit we stopped at Williston to tank up for the quick ride home.  We went VFR so I needed to watch for all manner of airspace.  The military has some restricted areas mid state which we maneuvered around both ways and the playoff game had started so we made sure to come in from the South and stay well clear of the restrictions around the stadium.


It was nice to finally go flying again and not have my hands freeze.  Sadly it is back to work Monday but I have started planning the next set of trips.  More states to get off the list and more places to see.

No comments:

Post a Comment