Sunday, June 21, 2020

Clear Skies and Overcast?

Saturday I woke up thinking I would practice ground reference maneuvers because the forecast was clear and light winds.  Checking the weather I was a bit surprised, I had already peaked outside and it was blue skies as far as I could see but the computer said different.


Well I obviously could not see as far South as the computer as it was low clouds down that way.  I figured it would clear as the day warmed so I headed for the airport to pre flight.  I am now on the lookout for acceptably bad weather to keep my instrument currency so when the plane was ready I took another look at the weather and the clouds were still there.


Not wanting to miss an opportunity, I filed an instrument plan to 42J.  I figured I could shoot some approaches, gas up and head home.  I still had a sneaking suspicion the clouds would clear.


Heading South along the river at 3000 I was happy to see the weather was still 800 overcast and I could see the cloud deck ahead.  It is sort of strange when you are in perfectly clear weather and you look down at the line where the weather abruptly changes.


My first approach into Keystone went well.  Tops were 1800 and bases about 900.  On the missed approach as I turned West  I broke out and realized the cloud deck was receding.  The controller brought me around a second time and I broke out at 1500.  Time for another plan as my clouds were quickly evaporating (literally).


I asked if the controller could run my next approach into Palatka where the clouds were still thick. They obliged and I was soon tracking inbound on the GPS 9 approach.  Bases were 800 again and on the missed I was assigned 360 and back to 3000.   I informed the controller that I was planning to cancel once near Keystone.  About 10 miles out I cancelled and headed down to the now sunny airport.


After a quick refuel I headed home all in sunny skies.  Things can change very quickly. Today it was improving but you need to watch for the opposite.  I have seen it go from clear to 200 overcast in under an hour as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment