Saturday, June 27, 2020

Sahara dust

It was oil change time.  I like doing my oil changes, typically 4 per year.  One always falls mid summer and that's the one I don't like as much.  Too hot.  So Friday end of day I went out and warmed the oil and started the draining process.  I say process because the filter sits vertically facing down.  If you want to go fast you can put rags under the filter to catch the drips.  If you are patient and let all the oil drain, you don't have any drips.


So Friday was warm and drain, Saturday I awoke early to finish the job before it got too hot.  The change went smoothly, without any drips.  The filter was clean when I inspected it so all was good.  You do a run after the change to check for leaks and that was a success as well.  I like to do a quick flight as well to just make sure before I venture out on a longer flight.  The visibility was reported at 7-10 but it looked much worse.



Taking off I was in a haze bowl.  Turning to the beach I had to go a few miles before the coast was visible.  Turning towards the airport at 8 miles out I could not see the airport.  It started to appear at 6 miles and was clear at 5.  I suggested to the tower that they may want to turn on the runway lights.  I know I saw the airport partially because I knew where to look.  Transient students would have a tougher time and the lights would help a lot.


I have 15 minutes flight time this weekend and unless it clears a bit that may be all I do.  

No comments:

Post a Comment