Sunday, March 14, 2021

Training begins


Training officially began today.  That is not completely accurate.  I am already a trained multi engine pilot.  This is really type specific training but the training really started months ago.  Before I purchased the plane I studied its performance and systems and compared it to several other types.  After I had decided on the Baron I continued to study both the aircraft specific material and did a complete refresher of multi engine flying.

Months later I was almost ready to fly.  I say almost because the day began with discussing the day.  We briefed the objectives, our plan and how we would manage any abnormal situations.  Since I am transitioning, the plan today was for the instructor to assume control if anything bad happened near the ground.

It was finally time to actually fly.  The plane's engines are a variant of the engine in the Bonanza.  It has 550Cs vs. the 550B.  There are differences but only things a mechanic needs to worry about.  From the pilots perspective, you operate them the same.  This made the start up and engine management much easier.

Taxiing out you feel the extra weight.  We were right at 4900 pounds, we would later top off bringing us to 5380 pounds.  This is about 80% more than the Bonanza.  The pre departure checks are almost the same except you have 2 engines to check and we need to check that the props will respond to the feather command.  Finally we reviewed the departure brief and then called tower ready to go.

First takeoffs are always more stressful and as I lined up, I reviewed the brief one more time as I prepared to go.  After that, power up, check the engine gauges to confirm good reading,  85 knots is Vmc and rotation, a bit of back pressure and we were flying.  Lots of power and a few seconds later, I had good rate and was approaching Vyse which is best rate on one engine.  Gear came up and off we went.

I got the feel of the plane on the way to Palatka.  My first pattern was wide to give me extra time and it was all looking good until at 100 feet the instructor commanded a go around.  I complied not knowing if there was a real issue or if it was for training.  It was for training and we made another run at it.

The first touchdown is always extra exciting.  I had sat in the plane and noted the sight picture but it is different to achieve that while managing the approach and all.  Speeds were good on final and I was rewarded with a smooth touchdown.

We did a total of 7 landings today.  Each time to a full stop.  The loading with full fuel and 2 guys is very near the forward limit and I can really feel that in the flare that the nose is heavy.  While I am not ready for short runways, I did one short field landing and had the plane stopped in 1400 feet.  It likes to roll so this required using the brakes more than I like.  

By the time we headed home, I was very comfortable with just 4000 feet and a gentle crosswind.  This was a good start.  Next up is air work and single engine procedures.

No comments:

Post a Comment