Sunday, August 14, 2022

A Capital Time


I had lugged a bunch of cargo up for my daughter but I'm not a freight dog.  I was here to sightsee.  It's been quite some time since I have visited DC so I was going to hit all the famous landmarks.


We walked South from downtown and started in the national sculpture Garden. Our first stop was the WW II memorial. 




Then it was all the classics.  The Washington monument, Korean War Memorial, Vietnamese Memorial Wall, and the Vietnam Women’s memorial. 




We climbed the stairs to see Abe and read aloud the Gettysburg Address.  We then wandered South to visit the Martin Luther King Memorial. 




We strolled the tidal Basin stopping to see the FDR memorial before visiting TJ, or more formally known as Thomas Jefferson. 


The walk back took us by the WW I memorial and finally the White House. Joe was not home, I know this because we overflew his TFR in SC on our way up.  We were getting tired and hungry so we headed home and grabbed some food on the way.  


After eating I was put to work building the IKEA furniture from Thursday. To be fair, most had been done the night before but I helped with 3 drawers.  We then searched out Ice Cream because, Ice Cream!!!


After this it was time for a break and then we headed out of the city for a quick hike to a waterfall.  On my scale of effort to impressive waterfall it scored only average. This may have been because I was getting tired or it was just and average fall with a moderate walk plus water obstacles.


Our daughter dropped us off in Chinatown so we could pick up some dumplings and roasted meats while she headed off with friends who had come into town.  In the end we walked about 14 miles and saw a great deal.  I wanted to visit the Air and Space museum but it is closed for work.  Next trip I suspect the weather may not be so nice so we will have more time for museums.


No comments:

Post a Comment