Thursday, November 30, 2023

Plane-less

 

It’s that time of year. Annual inspection is due midnight November 30th so I took the plane down a few days early. The weather Sunday was pretty terrible and Monday morning there were lingering clouds and IFR weather so I was not in a big rush.

I slept in a waited for the weather to improve. New Smyrna (EVB) where I had scheduled my annual was reporting 1300’ but it was clearing around home though we had some lingering low clouds. I departed runway 32 with an initial climb to 3000'. The air was cool and the plane had half gas which meant I was 800 pounds under gross weight.

I had a great climb rate and was soon cleared to 6000’ and on course. I made great time with a 26 knot tailwind and 204 knots ground speed.  The surface winds were 12-18 @ 320 and they were using runway 02. I asked for 29 and the controller said that makes more sense given the winds.

I was cleared direct to the 29 IAF and was soon descending when the next controller said that the tower had cancelled my 29 approach and wanted me back on 02. Though not my preferred runway but, it was well within capabilities of the plane and pilot so off we went on vectors for 02.

I soon descended into a thin layer and after a quick approach, broke out around 1400’ with the runway straight ahead. After that it was a nice arrival even if the winds had swung around and were a slight gusty quartering tailwind.

I went over the list of extra stuff I wanted the shop to look at while the plane was apart like replacing a tire near the end of its life and re webbing the front belts that started to show some wear.

I could have headed home from there but we had decided to take a mini beach vacation and we had reservations in Daytona Beach. Before we headed for the beach we did some sightseeing in New Smyrna. I have flown in a bunch but never really seen the town.

We started at the airport.  Epic aviation, a local flight school has the remnants of a DC-7 Aircraft.  Not sure how it got there but I would be in no rush to try and take it for a spin.  Looking in the wheel wells you can see the control cables askew and rusted and the fabric tail is looking a bit ratty.  One prop is missing a blade and about 10,000 other things are wrong but it's an amazing piece of history.

We drove around a bit and saw some of the historical sights like an old sugar plantation which was destroyed by the Seminoles and the enslaved workers.  After that we went to Old Fort Park which seemed to be misnamed as it was the site of an old hotel until was burned down during the civil war.

We had seen an old time Dairy Queen on the way and stopped by for a snack. They only have ice cream and hot dogs. The dogs were all beef and $1.29, a super bargain. CC had one but I forced myself to have two.

After the dogs we indulged in blizzards. The weather was really nice, cool but not cold. Our room was waiting and my Marriott rewards had come through with a free upgrade to an oceanfront suite. We enjoyed the view for a bit and then took a long walk on the beach. I thought one sign was a bit confusing.


You can drive on Daytona Beach and at the end of the drivable part they want you to turn around to the left but the sign pretty much sends you into the ocean. Dinner was from Senor Taco, our favorite local Mexican place.

Though sunset brought colder temperatures, we had a great full moon rising over the ocean. Tuesday we slept in and then visited a local historical site which we believe had the old sugar making equipment from the other sugar plantation.  They moved it up after the previously discussed "fire".  We also went back to the Ponce Inlet lighthouse. we had gone on a previous visit.  It's a bit over 200 steps up but the view is well worth the climb.  

We then ate way too much for lunch and spent the rest of the afternoon walking the beach.  I have few weeks of flying withdrawal until I get the bird back but hopefully she will soon be ready for another year of intensive flying.  



No comments:

Post a Comment