Sunday, August 16, 2020

The coming storm

Saturday I awoke to clear skies but when I started looking at the weather, the picture was not so rosy.  There was a line of rain from the Florida/Georgia border to the West Coast North of Tampa.


You can see how nice it looked if you looked the right way.  Holding short for takeoff I could see what was coming.  Regardless the storms were actually moving quite slowly so I decided to go out for a morning flight before the rain.


On departure I had a good preview of the rain.


It was still Sunny downtown and listening to approach, I could hear them still skydiving over at Herlong.


I headed South West parallel to the rain to have a better look.  It made quite a nice picture on the GPS.


I could see the rain showers under the storm front but stayed well clear.


It made for some nice scenery as I worked my way back North East.


JAX was still in the sun too and I got a nice overhead view.


Fernandina was also quite with the ship cutting frames still hanging out.  I guess the ship at Saint Simons is not yet ready to be cut.


I returned before any of the rain started.  I did drop by Safe Harbor for fresh fish and saw lightning in the distance returning to the car.  The storm line sort broke up so the coming storm never really came though we got some sprinkles at the house.  I did see the airport has a new system to mow the grass.  This poor guy was working alone on the weekend.


Sunday, August 2, 2020

Hurricane Hunter

We are under a Tropical Storm warning.  Should have rain later today but this morning the sky was blue.


NOAA flies into Hurricanes, I fly near Hurricanes.  When I looked at the weather I could see the main outer band was around Daytona.  There was also a bit of rain over Saint Augustine.  My gut said that it would be building rapidly.


Departing, it was pretty blue.  I quickly climbed over the few clouds.  Originally I was thinking 6500 would keep me on top but later decided 8500 would provide more room.



As I headed South, it looked like I could slide between the rain over St. Augustine.  There were some big holes but I decide to stay to the West where I always had an escape route.


I slid by the close rain but my real target was the big storm.   You can see the storms over St. Augustine were starting to get denser.


Once I cleared the first line, I got a good look ahead.  I had ended up going further West than I initially planned so I had called Jacksonville Approach to confirm the restricted areas over by lake George were cold.  They were and I decided to head for over the lake.


This is the leading mass of the storm.  Pretty sure we will get some of this rain later today.  Oddly it was lots of rain but not much lightning.  I was watching the various displays and my lightning detector.  It was much quieter than I had expected.


I took a panorama view as well as the GPS display with all the pretty colors.  Even without lightning and the storms not being that tall, I was giving them the respect they deserved and keeping my distance, about 30 nautical miles.


This is lake George, it was a nice day when I was there.  Expecting it to deteriorate a bit.


I had seen the storm and now it was time to head back.  The rain had built over Saint Augustine and the clouds were thicker the entire way back.  This is the back side of the leading line.


I had thought ahead and filed an IFR plan just in case.  I requested it from JAX once I was in a position to go direct home without getting too close to the storms.


I was cleared down to 6000 and direct home.  This was the picture ahead, you can see the junk on the right.


Nice smooth air for the ride home and I could see the rain off to my right.


Why the IFR?  It was 2500 bases and not that dense so I could have stayed VFR.  Well it is just easier and sort of fun to zip through the clouds rather than stressing about finding a legal hole and having to detour.  Here I got to fly through a cloud tunnel.


Bases were 2500 so I was soon underneath with the field in sight.  I was transferred to tower and made a nice landing on 5.  Spent some time cleaning the hangar and now plane is away and safe from the approaching rain.


Saturday, July 18, 2020

Trapped on top

We left this morning for some sightseeing.  We still are holding off on travel so we planned a round robin flight over Gainesville Florida.  On departure we had scattered clouds but heading Southwest they were quickly thickening.  I found a big hole and was soon on top but our planned cruise at 4500 was not working.  The clouds were building.



We stepped up to 6500 and eventually to 8500 and then 9500 when we headed Northeast.  We have to stay 500' below, 1000' above and 2000' lateral from clouds when visual.  By climbing and maneuvering we kept the required distances as we headed to Gainesville.  Turning back Northeast we couldn't see a clean path home so we headed more Northerly where the clouds were lower.

We had picked up visual flight following halfway to Gainesville as the clouds had us divert over some restricted airspace and we needed to confirm that it was not in use and that we were allowed to pass through.  We were above the clouds but eventually we needed to get below while following the rules.  Seeing the clouds build, we discussed our options to get home safely and legally. 


We had 4  options.  Home was reporting scattered clouds so option 1 was stay on top, climb as needed to get back home and then spiral down.  Option 2 was to spiral down near Gainesville where the clouds were not very dense and fly below on the way home.  Option 3 was to maneuver between the clouds and find a path home much like we had found our way to Gainesville, the danger was finding a dead end and having to backtrack or climb again.  Option 4 was to pick up an IFR clearance and then just go through the clouds.



Options 1 and 2 were not efficient and option 1 had the chance of becoming option 4 anyway.  We started with option 3 and flew North about 5 minutes.  Looking towards home it became increasingly clear it was gonna be hard or impossible to make it work.  This is where being instrument equipped and proficient is so handy.  I requested an instrument clearance and was given it right away.  After that we were cleared for our descent and slid through a few clouds as we were vectored home.


So was it bad planning on my part, well the forecast was for scattered clouds only.  The bases were right around 3000 so we could have easily just spiraled down and then proceeded home down low in the heat and bumps burning extra gas.  For us today it was all comfort and efficiency.  We had many safe options.  For a visual only pilot, getting stuck among building clouds can be an emergency so it is best not to get yourself into a situation where you may have trouble getting out.

Saturday, June 27, 2020

Sahara dust

It was oil change time.  I like doing my oil changes, typically 4 per year.  One always falls mid summer and that's the one I don't like as much.  Too hot.  So Friday end of day I went out and warmed the oil and started the draining process.  I say process because the filter sits vertically facing down.  If you want to go fast you can put rags under the filter to catch the drips.  If you are patient and let all the oil drain, you don't have any drips.


So Friday was warm and drain, Saturday I awoke early to finish the job before it got too hot.  The change went smoothly, without any drips.  The filter was clean when I inspected it so all was good.  You do a run after the change to check for leaks and that was a success as well.  I like to do a quick flight as well to just make sure before I venture out on a longer flight.  The visibility was reported at 7-10 but it looked much worse.



Taking off I was in a haze bowl.  Turning to the beach I had to go a few miles before the coast was visible.  Turning towards the airport at 8 miles out I could not see the airport.  It started to appear at 6 miles and was clear at 5.  I suggested to the tower that they may want to turn on the runway lights.  I know I saw the airport partially because I knew where to look.  Transient students would have a tougher time and the lights would help a lot.


I have 15 minutes flight time this weekend and unless it clears a bit that may be all I do.  

Sunday, June 21, 2020

Clear Skies and Overcast?

Saturday I woke up thinking I would practice ground reference maneuvers because the forecast was clear and light winds.  Checking the weather I was a bit surprised, I had already peaked outside and it was blue skies as far as I could see but the computer said different.


Well I obviously could not see as far South as the computer as it was low clouds down that way.  I figured it would clear as the day warmed so I headed for the airport to pre flight.  I am now on the lookout for acceptably bad weather to keep my instrument currency so when the plane was ready I took another look at the weather and the clouds were still there.


Not wanting to miss an opportunity, I filed an instrument plan to 42J.  I figured I could shoot some approaches, gas up and head home.  I still had a sneaking suspicion the clouds would clear.


Heading South along the river at 3000 I was happy to see the weather was still 800 overcast and I could see the cloud deck ahead.  It is sort of strange when you are in perfectly clear weather and you look down at the line where the weather abruptly changes.


My first approach into Keystone went well.  Tops were 1800 and bases about 900.  On the missed approach as I turned West  I broke out and realized the cloud deck was receding.  The controller brought me around a second time and I broke out at 1500.  Time for another plan as my clouds were quickly evaporating (literally).


I asked if the controller could run my next approach into Palatka where the clouds were still thick. They obliged and I was soon tracking inbound on the GPS 9 approach.  Bases were 800 again and on the missed I was assigned 360 and back to 3000.   I informed the controller that I was planning to cancel once near Keystone.  About 10 miles out I cancelled and headed down to the now sunny airport.


After a quick refuel I headed home all in sunny skies.  Things can change very quickly. Today it was improving but you need to watch for the opposite.  I have seen it go from clear to 200 overcast in under an hour as well.

Monday, June 15, 2020

All Wet

Sunday morning, it looked like nice weather for a flight.  There were some scattered showers South but they appeared to be moving South so we headed North.  I was curious as to the progress on the overturned ship at Saint Simons Island.


Departing the clouds were running 1600-1800 Broken so we stayed around 1000 and fought a 20 knot headwind up the beach.  The controllers were helpful calling traffic and reminding us to avoid the prohibited area.  We had not forgotten and planned to stay well clear but always nice to have a second set of eyes watching.  The ship is near an active airport so we had our heads on a swivel making sure we stayed out of the way of the arrivals.  Our radio setup lets us listen and talk on 2 frequencies so we were able to keep up with the local and approach frequencies and observe without causing a conflict.


You can't miss the ship, it is still on its side but now surrounded by a pollution fence as they prepare to slice it up.  From a distance it looks like they have peeled open parts of the side but when you approach nearer, it is just an illusion, they have actually attached large structures to the side.  I am assuming this is all part of the master plan of slicing and hauling away the ship.


After a turn around to check on progress we headed back.  The clouds had thickened considerably and I had arranged with the controller to get an instrument clearance back.  Once headed South I was cleared direct home and given 4000 feet.  Up we went through the clouds.  They were pretty smooth and after a bit we were mostly on top.


The radar picture was not looking great though.  The airport was clear but to the East was a pretty good size storm.  The airport was using the ILS 32 circling to 5.  I was concerned that I would be vectored through the weather to get onto the approach so I talked to the controller and he agreed to take us around the long way to avoid the rain.


The closer we got the worse the rain got and it was getting closer to the final approach course.  We were in and out of clouds mostly and had good visibility down.  At 5 miles out I could see the airport but by now there were 2 other planes sequenced ahead of me for the approach.  This meant that the controller could not give me a visual approach.


As we passed over the field, we popped out into a huge gap miles wide devoid of clouds.  Weather can be strange. We now had the airport in sight and in visual conditions.  I had been watching everything and thinking about where to divert or hold if the weather kept deteriorating but now I had an easier option.  I cancelled IFR.


When I told the controller he seemed happy, it dropped his workload and I was in a good position such that it would not impact his sequence.  I was 3000 feet above the airport and checking in with tower.  I was cleared to land which was a minor problem as I was way too high to get down to the runway.  Tower approved a 360.  Dropping the gear and approach flaps and reducing power gave me a good descent rate and rolling out of our turn we were aligned with the runway on speed and altitude.  


The wind had gotten stronger and gusty but the landing was good and we were cleared right back to the hangar without asking.  I was thinking we had done a good job missing the weather and the rain.  We had seen the showers in the distance while landing but all around us looked clear.


Right as we pulled up to the hangar the first drops started.  CC and I did a quick exit and I went to get the tug to push back.  So in the 30 seconds that took, the skies got their revenge.  Just as I got to the nose, the slight drip became a strong downpour.  I was pretty much committed then so I hooked up and pushed back. 


The wax is good as it beaded nicely which meant there was lots of water to wipe off.  So in the end the plane got a wash and dry and I just got a wash.

Sunday, May 17, 2020

A Tight Turn


This weekend turned out to be great weather for training.  Saturday I went up to South Carolina to land at Hilton Head.  I did not shut down and actually never left the active movement area so no chance of spreading or getting germs.


On the way back I was planning to stop at Keystone for some cheap gas.  They have airplane gas for $2.58/gallon which is a really good deal.  As I was coming across the Florida border I noticed showers forming over the airport from what became Tropical Storm Arthur.  Not wanting to fuel in the rain, I diverted and tucked the plane back in the hangar. 


Looking at the weather this morning, it was a perfect opportunity to train and get gas.  I filed to 42J (Keystone) via BUHAR.  BUHAR is an imaginary point in space which we can find with our GPS equipment.  Why BUHAR, well the weather was cloudy so I would need to do an approach to find the field and BUHAR was a legal starting point.


Heading out I had some broken clouds and initially was in and out.  This became solid in and then I was above them cloud surfing at 3000.  I was cleared direct BUHAR and things were looking good.  I planned to let the autopilot do this one.  The approach was loaded and active and with the GPS steering, the plane would get to BUHAR, make the right turn, fly to TOLBY, make another right and once I was heading straight in, I just needed to hit the approach key and the plane would capture both the lateral and vertical guidance and take me down to the runway.


The one complication is that the approach  takes you 2.5 North East of Gainesville and they had departing traffic.  The controller offered a vector around or I could get a vector straight in but tight.  I chose tight.  This added a bit of pressure but I had briefed the plate and was ready.



I disengaged the autopilot and hand flew the initial portion.  I was turned to 300 degrees and descended to 2000.  Since I was now in tight I needed to boogie on down.  I configured for 700 feet per minute and as I was reaching 2000 got my turn to 20 degrees to join final.  On the way down I had reset the GPS and activated Vectors to final. 



Rolling out aligned, I re-engaged the autopilot in approach mode.  It was tracking and I watched the glide slope come alive.  At intercept the gear came down and the plane started descending.  300 feet later I popped out of the clouds with the runway in sight.


By the time I fueled, the clouds had started to break up and I was able to see home from 20 miles out and accept the visual approach.  After putting the plane away, I saw one of the airport residents.  He wanders around but is sort of quiet.  He did pose for me though.